C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 21 May 2002 07:37:36 -0400
Hello All!!

Well, Kathi,
You got a lot of great suggestions.  I too would suggest an OT that could
see your unique movements.  Your idea of a useless arm and my idea are two
different things.  Also, if would depend on how much trunk control you have.
That's usually a bigger factor than an arm that's uncooperative.  You may
even need to work on your trunk strength in order to accomplish your goal.
It also depends on how far your other arm can reach across your body and how
much strength you have.
There is also a great book with at title something like Living one handed in
a Two handed world.  Haven't added it to my collection yet but, I've heard
it's highly reccommended.
In addition to the suggestions already proposed if you know anyone who sews,
you can get loops sewn into your pants (I know in the Midwest it gets cold).
You can then hook your hand into the loops to pull down or up as needed.
You can also start pulling down from a seated position and rock yourself
back and forth (you have a wheelchair correct?)  so that you pick up one
side at a time.
I'm sure you already know to wear elastic waisted clothing or clothing with
velcro closures for ease.

Hope that gives you a few extra ideas.

Beth T.

Subject: Going To The Bathroom Alone

I'm searching for ways that I could go to the
bathroom alone.  Here's the situtation...My left
arm is useless (which only leaves right side to
work with) I need to hold on to something (so , I
don't fall) and pull my pants down.  Any Ideas?