C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:44:09 EDT
In a message dated 9/16/2004 00:21:43 Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
On the other hand, there are parents who are naturally inclined to think of
the "poor young crippled" who can't do anything by him/herself, who must be
(over)protected, etc. The last thing they need is indeed a physician who would
set their expectations even lower! They rather need one who would insist on
pushing the child, on expecting as much as any other child, etc.
You hit it right on the head with those who I've dealt with in Cuyahoga
County area.  I had BVR assistance when going to business school but nothing else.
I'm too high functioning for any other disability programs.  A teacher put my
situation like this:  "Heaven doesn't want you, and Hell's afraid you'll take
over."  I get people to see what their lives can be and I'm considered a bad
influence.  I've had several relationships where if I wasn't around these
women I dated would have been in nursing homes or stuck with their parents until
their parents pass away.  Those who I came in contact with years ago now have a
different place to live and they want something better in their lives.  Right
now I have one goal I'm working on and hopefully it will happen next year.
Only one other knows what this is and I'm not one to put a jinx on it.

Michael Jeffries
ICQ# 53522767 AIM, MSN, and Yahoo! ID MJeff25916