C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 3 May 2002 15:17:10 -0400
I think all of us beat our doctors' expectations. I know my doctor didn't expect me to live, much less learn anything or go to school.  My mother's voice would rise with indignation every time she told me he would tell her I would end up in an insitution, not able to care for myself or feed myself.  Well, turns out all my CP is all in my legs and I am on my own, and have 2 college degrees, etc.  I just wish he were still alive so I could tell him how well my life turned out but he died when I was still a child.  Living well is the best revenge, as they say.

Kat

On Fri, 3 May 2002 12:10:12 -0700 jd <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

--- "BG Greer, PhD" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

. When a new born is sus=
> pected of having cerebral palsy, physicians will
> often paint a “worse c=
> ase scenario” for the traumatized parents by
> telling them their newborn=
>  “bundle of joy” most likely will not be
> able to walk, to talk, wi=
> ll be retarded, blind or deaf or both. This way the
> physician’s ass is=20=
> covered. And that is what happened to my parents
> when I was born.

This was interesting timing Bobby. This morning Alex
asked me the question I really didn't want to
answer...Mom why can't I walk. I told him he was born
to soon and too little and was very sick when he was
born and has a boo boo on his brain that causes him to
have trouble walking. I told him the doctors told me
he wouldn't be able to walk, talk, eat or think by
himself. This kid who uses a walker, braces, has low
vision and has had a feeding tube for almost 1/2 his
life etc., etc., looked me straight in the eye and
said
"I sure fooled the doctors, haven't I Mom?"
Joanne