C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laura Cleveland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 11:20:46 -0400
Hi Mag,
It's so hard to explain to someone else what it is like living in your own
skin, even if they really, really want to get to know you.
 It sounds like you were dealing with some one who wasn't wanting to know
all that much--or maybe do that much anyway.
I think disabilities and illnesses are sometimes just scary to people.  My
husband has CP and I have cancer, and I am still caught up in those moments
were I don't know what to say or do at times, though I don't think it is
fear related.
When I am on the receiving end, I try to make others feel comfortable with
my situation, with keeping things light, and  knowing they mean the best
and want to show concern for me--they just don't want to say the wrong
thing.
My .02,
Laura