C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Anee Stanford <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 21:02:36 EDT
Mag-

Problem # 1 is how do you meet anyone.  Dallas or Mckinney dosn't seem to be
a place that is big on any deep networking type efforts...everyone is
constently on the run and mostly concerned with themselves however this is
not true of all.  It's just being in a situation in which you can establish a
network.   I have a friend who I went to school with here who is leglay blind
and she manages to get about just find.  I think I should try and track her
down and get her to do some mobility traning with me LOL!  The place I met
alot of people with disabilities in this area is back when I was doing
horseback riding and mist of them were rather low functioning to tell the
truth, or they were too young for this to be a concern.  There are some
though--mostly in the closer in suburbs and in Dallas it's self.  And the
yong adults that had MR and Severe LDs that I worked with at the
college--there was one who could drive but the rest ride the bus.  Just 2
towns in Plano this is not a big problem and really there is a pubblic
transit service in McKinney.  You just  have to call them a week in advance
to arange your ride which I think is downright rediculous--it's run through
the senior citizen's center but a lot of PWDs who have regular schedules use
it.  The thing is I never seem to have a regular schedule you know--especialy
now that I am going to school in Idaho and coming back here for vists and
stuff.  We have a service similer to this in pocatello for people in chairs
and stuff but you only have to call 24 hours in advance which is nice.  Right
now I am planning to come back for the week of Thanksgiving and also for the
second half of december and first week in January.

Anee

In a message dated 7/24/2000 7:40:02 PM Central Daylight Time, [log in to unmask]