C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 06:26:53 -0600
Dear Linda,
My husband and I have taken several cruises and while I don't use a
wheelchair because of habit, training and interest, I try to keep an eye on
things around me as far as accessiblity goes.  Here's a few tips to get you
started:
1.  As Mags says, get with a travel agent who knows their stuff.  We
actually use one in another town who gets us great rates, knows the
industry, etc.  I don't know how knowledgeable they are about accessibility
but, they probably book a lot of elderly people.  Where will you be leaving
from?
2. Stick with newer more modern ships.  They really do try to make them more
accessible and keep to safety regulations.
3.  Travel with a knowledgeable, reliable companion.  As far as accessiblity
goes, you still are going to have to tackle some stairs or some other hazard
during the life boat drills.
4.  Book early and ask for an accessible room.  Be specific about your needs
and remember those rooms are small no matter what.
5.  While the ship must be accessible, certain ports aren't going to be easy
to get to.  St. Maarten you have to tender on a boat to get to the dock, the
streets are old and the shops are crowded.  But, the views are beautiful.

Hope that gets you started.

Beth the OT