C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:48:02 +0100
On Thursday 20 August 2009 02:56:16 Kathleen Salkin wrote:
> OK obviously my memory's going because I thought she hadn't finished
> the work for her degree yet?  Else why would she be working in a shop?

No, your memory's fine!! That's why I wrote about summer vacation work.

>  (I admit that I was assuming she was saving up $ or rather pounds
> sterling for tuition or books as that would be the most logical reason
> for working a low-paying job).

She would be paid (a small amount) doing summer work for a legal firm. After
all, whilst a recession depresses the retail sector, very rarely will it
reduce the amount of litigation!!

> So I think I see now - you are saying she deliberately set herself up
> so she could get the case into court and use the publicity or get
> money?

I couldn't possibly suggest that (I'm sure I'd get sued!!). The 'red flag' for
me was noticing the difference between what she said to the press outside the
court (which was obvious discrimination) and what she said under oath in court
(which wasn't).

> If so, it kind of backfired, wouldn't you say?

Suing your employer (and losing on the main claim) is never a good career
strategy!

> What are the
> disability rights people saying in the UK?

Don't know.

> Kat

Cheers

Deri