C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 10 Aug 2007 11:04:34 -0600
I'd like to caution people about the risk of osteoporosis, even in
men, for those of us who do very little weight bearing exercise
(especially wheelchair users).  I was working a health fair on
Wednesday, and since I've used a chair for 30 years, and don't do much
weight bearing, I had my bone density checked out.

I was over _3_ standard deviations below the norm for my age range,
which means I'm at highly increased risk for fractures.  The test is
quick, easy and painless.  The worst part was filling out the
paperwork, as it was being done as part of a research study, in my
case.
--
Kendall

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950