C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dina Dror <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:09:49 EST
Hi,

I have a very slight case of scoliosis. However, I do know that a lot of
children who are in wheelchairs and do not have the ability to crawl or roll
themselves independently are at a much higher risk of having scoliosis. I
have one friend who I grew up with that had severe scoliosis and ended up
with a spinal fusion. It was a very traumatic experience for him.

I also know that therapeutic horseback riding is very effective for dealing
with scoliosis. So is chiropractic treatments and Rolfing and Feldenkrais
therapy. The more you are able to support your own trunk, the less of a
chance you will see scoliosis.

If you read the book, "What To Do About Your Brain Injured Child" by Glenn
Doman, you will have a much better understand of the body and the brain
working together.  Function does determine structure.

Hope this helps,

Dina