C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. Stephen Margolis" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 10:59:30 -0500
Mag and Anee,

A most sensible assessment.

I would only add that a wheelchair, by law, is a "reasonable
accommodation."  The cost of "normal" wear and tear, including that from
the wheelchair, should be absorbed by the landlord.  This is a
University facility and service.  Anee has already articulated their
enlightenment and support regarding disability.  The issue of collateral
damage by wheelchair seems assumed by the University.  If Anee does sign
a lease the matter can be spelled out to her satisfaction.

I applaud Anee's Dad's concern for his daughter and her prospective
landlord, a useful parental role model regarding respect for property
rights and ownership.  I also sense the good man may be a tad
oversensitive or overly concerned.  Probably parental anxiety clothed in
rationality.

Steve M.