C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 May 2005 15:12:54 -0500
Kat and Kendall,

    I am sure people are sterilized through "private" decisions, i.e.,
parents, relatives; putting pressure on drs and the person sterilized. I do
not know of Boards of Eugenics operating(what a gross pun) today. I have
heard of cases of disabled persons getting married with a stipulation of one
or the other parties being sterilized. There are folks with some backward
thinking out there.

    On a lighter note, When Judy(our adopted daughter) was going through a
multi-discipline evaluation, a social worker inbterviewing Joyce and I asked
which one of us could not have children! I saw no relevance of the question
to the process and reported her to a friend on mine on the staff there. She
caught hell and was almost fired. I thought if she was brazen enough to ask
us that, what would she ask a less sophisticated couple.

Bobby