C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Virginia Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2008 14:22:22 -0600

Last Tuesday (May 6), I took my 9yr-old son Daniel to physical therapy before school. As is my habit, I dropped him off and went for my walk around the neighborhood. When I returned, about 15 minutes before his therapy was due to end, I was met at the door by the PT, who said, "Daniel shoved down this little girl on crutches and won't apologize."  I took Daniel over to apologize to the little girl, but he wouldn't. Then I took him outside, explained that he WOULD apologize, took him back in, and he did, but he rushed away immediately afterwards. The PT said, "I've never seen Daniel behave that way before."  I responded, Yeah, if I didn't know better, I'd think he'd shoved her down because he thought she was cute and is now embarrassed."

I turned around and the little girl (about a year younger than my son) was looking at me as if I were insane. I said, "Honey, little boys are just weird sometimes." Then the female PT who was stretching her out said, "Yeah, they really are!"

When I got Daniel back to the car and we were heading for school, I asked him, "Daniel, did you shove that little girl down because you thought she was cute?" He nodded, blushed, and said, "esss, kooot." (He has difficulty talking).

First, I tried to explain that you can't push people on crutches. He  looked dubious. After all he's a boy in leg braces; you push him down, and he bounces right back. I then took the short cut of telling him that little girls don't like to be pushed down. Instead, he should give her his best smile.

Since then I've been wondering how to explain to him that in most respects, people with disabilities shouldn't be treated any differently than other people. In another sense, some people with disabilities do require a slightly different code of conduct
(i.e.: don't go around pushing down kids who are struggling to walk). Anyone know of any good kids' books on this subject?

Incidentally, this morning Daniel rushed over to the little girl (who was sitting down), smiled hugely, and ran off.

And so it starts.....
Get Free (PRODUCT) RED™  Emoticons, Winks and Display Pics.