C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Macaulay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Aug 2009 15:44:42 -0400
Kris,

It seems to me that you are not giving the kids a chance.   I know
that the non-disabled kids/family may not want to play for an hour at
the game of push your daughter around or climb on her chair or
whatever.  BUT, given some guidance from adults both the able-bodied
kid and your daughter should be able to play together for short
periods.  If you cook with her or color with her, why not invite one
of her cousins to make cookies together and you be there to help
too.  That way the other kids can see HOW to interact with your
daughter and how much fun it can be.  Kids can be cruel, but they are
also curious and compassionate.  You, as the adult, can foster the
compassionate side by coaching the kids on how to interact with your
daughter.  Don't expect them to know how on their own.  They may be
avoiding her because they just don't know what to say or do.

Just my two cents.  My son, who is 3 has a child in his daycare class
with special needs and I find we talk alot about how he can be his
friend.  And DOnny will come home often and tell me how Drew was
upset or needed help or whatever and how he helped him.  So, I know
between having a mom with CP and his experience with Drew, he will be
compassionate and caring, but I am helping him see the strengths
about others and not the weaknesses.  So if YOU focus on what your
daughter can do with other kids, other kids can learn to play with
her and she with them.

Linda Macaulay