C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 1 May 2005 06:50:08 -0400
Hi, Gary, I can't help you with the film as I don't recall ever seeing any
like that but I can help you with video formats.

The world is divided up into regions when it comes to VHD and DVD encoding,
and we and Canada are Region 1 whilst Europe is Region 2 and Australia's yet
another region.  Consider, too, that American DVD and VHS players play media
in NTSC format and non-American players play PAL format.  But if you did find
the film in PAL format, you could pay a conversion service to convert it for
you.

NTSC and PAL are for different television technologies - I'm sure someone can
explain it beter than I, but I believe it's because American TVs are largely
analog whilst the rest of the world is digital.

Here are the regional codes and their geographic 'assignments' --

REGION 1 -- USA, Canada
 REGION 2 -- Japan, Europe, South Africa, Middle East, Greenland
 REGION 3 -- S.Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Parts of South East Asia
 REGION 4 -- Australia, New Zealand, Latin America (including Mexico)
 REGION 5 -- Eastern Europe, Russia, India, Africa
 REGION 6 -- China
 REGION 0 or REGION ALL -- Discs are uncoded and can be played Worldwide,
however, PAL discs must be played in a PAL-compatible unit and NTSC discs
must be played in an NTSC-compatible unit.  (which really puts the kibbosh on
trying to make an American player non-regional anyway)

Kat