C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2000 17:18:53 -0500
Hi Jason, I might have a few suggestions you can use.  First, stop
anticipating her needs. One of the hardest things to do in a busy schedule
but, remember you want her to be able to communicate with others and have a
life.  Make her use her signs or whatever she uses to communicate.  Talk to
her.  Ask her "I can tell you want something what is it?"
Also, during routines daily stuff, sing to her, let her know what you are
going to do.  A lot of children have trouble with transitions.  I sing all
the time to the little ones in the clinic.  Best audience and they don't
mind an off key voice.  We do everything from "It's Time to put Your Shoes
On." to "Lollipop, Lollipop.."  I should be on Seseame Street.  I use
everything from simple Rap, sing-song, rock, country, what ever seems to
work.  Before feeding her, give her a spoon or other toy to play with while
you fix her breakfast.  Get her involved as much as possible.  Also, when
she whines, let her know that you understand she is hungry but, she has to
wait.  Delay giving her food until she makes a sign or gesture to eat.
Make a game of it.  Swoop her up, have her fly to breakfast.
Try to get her to sing with you.
Also, have you had an OT check her sensory processing?
Hope this gives you a few things to help out.

Beth the OT