C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. S. Margolis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 22:04:55 -0500
Hi Laura,

What I’m talking about is more or less frames of reference.  Life and
meaning looked at from a “nonreligious” (if there is such) viewpoint.
Perhaps if I said life was not “completely knowable,” “mysterious,”
always to be “discovered” and “explored,” you might have differently
questioned my not being bound by consequences to decisions.  The latter
is a dynamic and often dangerous, tempting, edge to being human.  And,
yes, there’s the potentially liberating energy.  My experience of nearly
six decades: every unbinding leads to another binding to be unbound (or
better left as is).  If everything were ultimately meaningless and
inconsequential we would not be having, or likely able to have, this
discussion.  There would be no reason and no communication.
Fortunately, except at birth and death we humans don’t reach ultimate
meaninglessness (though too often too many of us tend too close), so we
create meaning as we proceed.
I don’t turn to God because life is meaningless or assume the existence
of God to provide security, nurture, or meaning in life.  I usually take
to life as it is.  Sometimes confusion is bliss.  The attainment of
knowledge and understanding is arduous and limited.  Please: nothing in
what I write means I deny God or religions.  I respect your faith,
Trisha’s, everyone who respects mine.  (I’m at a stage in life where I
prefer quiet company to polemics.)
To say I found meaninglessness wonderful was to say I was not afraid of
my thoughts (or others)—not all the time.  I’m willing, if sometimes
reluctantly, to deal with consequences; the difficulty lies in taking
and assuming responsibility for decisions and actions.  That’s the full
time job of adulthood.  Sometimes confusion is painful.
Noted that you read closely.  You might say I’ve made millions of
mistakes.  This round I expect to make more and fewer.  And yes, o wee
rapt one, I’ve had my firsts.
S.
“Every day’s April Fool’s Day.”