C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 21:53:36 EST
Hi,

I am a big advocate of alternative therapies myself. I am in my late 30's and
constantly improving. Yes, I have my times where I have pain, but I live with
it knowing that most of the time the pain is from food allergies like wheat
or potatoes and etc. I know this because when I am off of the foods that I am
allergic to, the pain goes away.

As a kid, I lived with constant chronic pain. I was never given the option of
taking meds for it. They didn't deal with CP and pain like that then. You
just "lived with it." I know that I go to a Chiropractor, a Rolfer, try
nutritional products, EEG biofeedback, and etc. I can honestly tell you that
I am regaining range of motion all the time because of the horseback riding
that I do four days a week.

So yeah, I also wonder about this attitude of a lot of the medical doctors
about taking pain meds and stuff. I was told by a neuro a few years ago NOT
to take any meds or do any more surgery because in my case, it could make me
worse off than I already am. He rated me as a 1 or a 1 1/2 on some scale for
spasticity. He told me that if I were like a 2 or a 2 1/2, he might have
considered meds for me, but it's better not to take any. It would do more
harm in the long run than good for me.

Just some thoughts,

Dina