C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gordon Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Aug 2000 13:51:21 +0100
--- Sandy Goodwick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Your idea (mentoring) is an absolutely worthy one!
>
> Here is why you need to pursue this ...

> Malaine felt so very
> self-conscious about using the wheelchair to go
> anywhere; she also hated the
> way she looked when she walked.  She worried whether
> she would ever date or
> marry or have kids.  (Does ANY of this sound
> familiar?)

Hmm - YEP, YEP, YEP & I think that deserves another
"yep".

> When her triennial came up, I repeated asked her at
> the meeting for
> permission to talk about these concerns.  I
> explained to the folks there
> (parents, teachers, etc.) that these were difficult
> for Malaine to talk
> about, but very very important.  I asked them if any
> of them had thought
> about these issues .... none of them knew anything
> about how Malaine felt!

Yep - I didnt "want" to talk about any problems, I was
kind of "neutral" in this area, but now - looking
back, I am now more "closed off - emotionally" to
people. If I had someone to talk to when i was
younger, - i know i'll be more open now.

- Now - (last few months) - (Ive met someone in "chat"
- and although we dont talk specifically about my CP
(i think ive told her) - the way we speak, shes
helping me to be mopre open on-line, (& hopefully that
will transfer to the "real-world")

Gordon.

=====
[log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]
My ICQ number is :- 83440115 http://www.icq.com
gordonistewart_nz (at) hotmail (dot) com