C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
BrightIs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Mar 2000 09:40:28 -0500
First off I will apologize for any cross posting.

I found this little prayer in the book Changed by a Child: Companion Notes for Parents of a Child With a Disability by Barbara Gill.

Dear God,
Give me the strength to be present at my child's pain.
Help me to have faith in his competence.
Help me to be honest with him.
Help me to convey the confidence I have in him.
Spare me the necessity of using force.
Keep me from denying or minimizing what he is experiencing.
Don't let me make my pain more important than his.
Don't let me abandon him in any way because of my own fear and weakness.
Don't let me be overpowered by my frustration and feelings of helplessness.
Remind me that pain is survivable.
Remind me that he knows I would not permit this if it were not necessary.
Help me bear my suffering with strength, dignity, and honesty and so provide
    an example that will calm and reassure him.
Remind me that my touch, my smell, my presence are all to him.
Help me to stay here beside him.
Amen.

this is a good prayer to remember when you are staying at the hospital with your child, it helped me to pull through a few times.
Deborah mom of 4