C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"BG Greer, PhD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 12:43:37 EDT
Stephanie,

    I think you are coming from a completely different frame of reference
than most of the adults on this list. Most of us have been campers, or like
myself, counselors for camps with campers with disability. The MDA Telethon
raises huge amounts of money. Some of us feel that only a minuscule amount of
that goes for the right services. The pity conjured up by Jerry Lewis'
methods counteract all the "good" he does for MDA. Example, I dare say you
have never seen a telethon for the Lion's Camp in Texas. It operates 12 weeks
per summer and is a home living training site for the newly blind during the
winter. All the money raised by the Lion's of Texas go to the camp. They
operate 12 months a year, not one week.

    I praise for you enthusiasm.

Bobby