C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Mauro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 07:25:20 EDT
    Amateur Radio Field Day
        By Bob Mauro, KZ2G

    Worldwide—from 18:00 UTC, June 23 until 21:00 UTC, June 24, 2001, amateur
radio operators from around the world will be participating in the annual
Field Day Event.
    Hams worldwide will operate on emergency power indoors, outdoors, in
parks and in public places to demonstrate how amateur radio can assist
authorities during natural and man-made disasters.
    In the past amateur radio operators have provided vital communications
during hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, forest fires, and numerous other
natural and man-made disasters.  Amateur radio operators have provided the
vital link which the Red Cross, FEMA, and state and local authorities have
needed to coordinate search and rescue operations -- saving many lives in the
process.
    This year, like every year, hundreds of hams in my area will be setting
up field day sites in Eisenhower Park, Wantagh Park, at Rosemary Kennedy
Center, and other locations in and around Long Island, NY.
    Many hams will also be working from their homes using emergency power or
AC.  I'll be using battery power in my backyard to operate my portable ham
station, a 5-watt Yaesu FT-817 transceiver.  It will be powered by one of my
old 12-volt wheelchair batteries.
    The object of the Field Day Event is to communicate with as many amateur
radio operators as possible during the permitted operating period.  And to,
thereby, demonstrate the joys and capabilities of amateur radio during
emergencies -- using voice, data, and Morse Code.
    The Field Day Event is sponsored annually by the American Radio Relay
League, based in Newington, Connecticut (arrl.org).  The ARRL is a national
organization of amateur radio operators.  The ARRL publishes QST Magazine and
provides a lobbying voice in Washington, DC, for hams.
    As an amateur radio operator, since 1965, with a disability, I'll be
participating, too.  If you're a ham, I hope we can work each other or you
can stop by my Field Day site.
    Check out my ham web site at http

Bob Mauro - [log in to unmask]
  Visit My Website   --->     <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bobezwriter">BOB MAURO'S WEB SITE</A>
    Visit My Art Gallery --->     <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bobezwriter/art.html">BOB MAURO'S ART GALLERY</A>
     Visit My Ham Radio Web --->          <A HREF="hometown.aol.com/bobezwriter/kz2g.html"> BOB MAURO, KZ2G</A>