C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Laura Cleveland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 Jul 2000 15:41:15 -0400
OK, forget what I said about IEP a couple of weeks ago. Looks like I may be writing them again.
We have been trying to sell our house since about a year after I left teaching to be an at-home mom with my kids (that would be 2 years on the market--yes we've tried everything to sell it--it really is a great place, really).
To ease the burden on family finances, it looks like I will return to turn to teaching. The good news is there is a position in the district where I taught, and the cool thing is I will have the kids I had when I left. I had them in 6th grade--this position is at the high school.
I need some advice in terms of a "disability" (by ADA standards) I have acquired since teaching in this district. Namely, cancer.
Many in the district know this--especially those with whom I taught at the middle school building and the director of the Sp. Needs program in the district.
My question is should I bring this invisible "disability'" and all the questions that go with it out on the table, or should I keep my big trap shut?
Are there any flags that I should be looking for in interview questions and such, if they are not thinking of hiring me because of the Big C? (I did have a great review history in the district--and I know these kids personally. I can think of no reason for them not to.)

Thanks for following this long train--any advice is greatly appreciated!!!

Laura