C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 17:40:49 -0600
Ken,

Not that I can find, but there is some data in a table that shows the
states with the highest number of people without health insurance.  As I
quickly scanned the table, it looked like the states with the highest
number of uninsured citizens were, for the most part, in the West, with
a few exceptions (notably Florida).  However, two of the states showing
the highest numbers of people without health insurance were Texas and
California, which have pretty heterogeneous populations, so I can't say
that it's just "younger" states.

Alaska and Wyoming were also close to the top of the list in uninsured
people, which may be related to several factors.  The main factor I see
in Wyoming is that some people live long distances from a doctor, or
hospital, or other healthcare facility, so they may not bother with the
expense of insurance.  An analogy that comes to mind would be not having
a car if you aren't going to be near a gas station.

Kendall Corbett