C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jan Nottmeier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1999 22:20:20 -0500
Hello Ana Villaflor,

First your english is fine no problem.

I had my operation when I was 11 years old and now I am 21.

I tried Bobath when I was very little when I stilled lived in Germany I
believe.  Bobath according to my mother it did help a lot which I
started at the age of 5.  I am not sure if you have ever heard of Vojta
it is another technique which helped me open my hand.  Before the
technique my hand was like a fist, now I can use my hands normally.  I
just write some what slower then people without CP.  I started Vojta
within weeks after I left the hospital.

In 1985 I traveled to Budapest Hungary to go to the Pėto Institute, in
order to be taught the Pėto technique.  There I learned how to walk with
assistance of people and canes.  The people at the institute also said I
should not have an operation.  It is there where I made a mistake
instead of staying there for a year I left after two months, because I
did not understand the people.  Also I did not fully understand why I
was there, I cried constantly.  I was 7 years old at the time.  If I
would have stayed there I think I could be walking by myself now.  But I
can not change the past I can only think of the future.

About the surgery, it was recommend by an American doctor not a PT.  We
also tried  exercises again, but I began to loose interest.  Currently I
am not doing any exercises except walking on a treadmill at college.
But my walking is getting worse now, I am start PT again, I don't know.

Jan