C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bonnie Moulton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Nov 1999 17:44:54 EST
Hi,

I don't conhtribute to this list vry much but manage to read most of the
posts and am very interested in the summer get together about which I have
some questions and some suggestions.

First a question.
I know ther has ben some talk about meeting in Kansas City as it is a "half
way" point for most of us.  But do we have any list members who actually liv
there who could maybe take the lead on scoping out hotels and maybe checking
out some social activities that we could do there -- assuming that we want to
do a little bit more than "eat, drink and be merry" which I realize hasn't
been discussed yet.  I feel strongly about the fact that the accomodations
need to be checked out in person as I have had too many experiences with
being told something is "accessible" and finding out later that that is not
the case.  How do the rest of you feel about this?   Dos it mak sense to meet
somewhere where someone already lives for that reason?

Speaking of accessible hotel rooms, should we start a running tally now of
what accessibility features specific individuals would actually need?

Have we started to discuss possible dates?
I know that for me, the last two weeks in July are out because of major
commitments at work.  I would really prefer some time in June or after the
first week of August.

More suggestions:  It sems that there might be several of us coming from the
east coast (and/or the West Coast depending on whwere we meet)   It might be
worthtrying to arrange it so w can travel together.  Maybe we can get a group
rate on airfare.  I am willing to tak the lead on checking this out if people
are interested.  Also anyone with a disability flying from anywhere should
ask your airline if they have something called "compaion airfares".  Actually
I dont even think one of the parties has to have a disability, but I'm not
sure.  Some airlines offer this to encourage people to travel in groups.  ASK
though, because some airlines have it but don't talk it up.
Here's another thought. Dorms on college campuses are frequently underused
during the Summer I know the one used for Summer programs here at Temple
doesn't have all of the ammenities of the Sheraton or the Adams Mark - but
there is a pool and its cheaper. Would there be any interest in checking out
something like this?  Doesn't have to be in Philly. . . .
I would like a trip away but its another option.

I will be traveling alone.  Can we set up something for folks who might want
to share hotel rooms once we get where we're going?  I am also willing to
help with this.

Some purely selfish questions:
What are we going to do?  I would love a poetry/prose reading.  (Please
Mariana. . .  I don't think you'll be the only one reading.)

Is anyone else bringing a service dog?  I will be bringing Claude a black
standard poodle.  Just asking so that we are not surprised (or a surprise)
when we arrive.  As this will likely be our first plane trip would like to
keep other surprises to a minimum.

I am the list member attemopting to write a Doctoral Dissertation on Aging
with CP.  Would anyone consider it a "misuse" of our get together time to
discuss that issue or to distribute a survey (which I sincerely hope to have
ready by that time?)  Individual preferences on this issue will be respected.

Bonnie and Claude