C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 19:04:33 -0400
Gary,

I get questions all the time, especially from the littler kids and I love
it.  I think one of my personal "hidden curriculum/goals" in teaching is to
make kids more accepting of those with differences and not to feel
embarrassed to ask questions.  In fact, over the next several years, one of
my school's "strategic plan goals" is to help kids be more accepting and to
recognize their own uniqueness...So, I will be doing my "walk with wooden
blocks between your knees" lesson with all of the classes in the school and
facilitating discussion.  It should be fun.  I also want to do the same
lesson with the teachers.  Every year I introduce myself to the new faculty
and be sure to tell them to ask anything they want and to give their
students honest answers (or ask me to) if they ask them, but they have never
participated in my lesson.  I've done it every year with the entire 5th
grade and it is so wonderful that I think the adults would benefit as well.

On another note, I sent your e-mail about cell phones to a teacher friend of
mine who has worked at a camp for the visually impaired.  She may have some
info. I'll let you know if she does.

Linda