C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:34:40 +0100
                  Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hi Steve,
>
>         Was brought to the list by Daniel when he requested to
> unsub - I let him know he had it. If anyone gets get I have a
> program that gets rid of it. Hum - I hadn't thought about it
> getting into the digest form - Deri?
>
>                             Brightest Blessing -
>                                  Trisha - List Mama in Training

The digest is simply a concatenation of posts during a 24hr
period, if any of the posts include attachments, those
attachments are quite rightly included with the digest.

From the quantity of returned "error" messages sitting in my
Errors mailbox tonight, many SMTP gateways now detect the virus
and bounce it (back to me!) :-(

Our predecessor, Jasper, discussed the problem of HAPPY.EXE with
me (off list) about 2 months ago. The only weapon a List
Administrator has to combat these virii is a very blunt edge
instrument, namely set a parameter which prevents postings longer
than a certain length being posted to this list

Unfortunately HAPPY99.EXE is a very short virus (only some 225
lines of BASE64 encoding) so setting the "throttle" would have to
be below this figure. I did investigate this as a possibility but
soon discovered several examples of long (but valid) posts which
would have been rejected had the throttle been low enough to
block the virus. (Baby with the bathwater?) So I declined to act
on Jasper's suggestion.

Anyway, if I set the throttle that low, we probably would never
hear from Denise again - (I think I'm going to duck now!!!).

Cheers

PS If anyone has got the virus, I can dig up some instructions
I've got to get rid of it (without running a program to remove it
- it's easy).

--
Deri James