C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:28:53 -0400
Taking pictures was the LAST thing on my mind at that particular moment, Ken
<g>.  You know, though, if I had used the camera, it was probably a good
thing it was digital.  A guy in our suburb got met at the drugstore by the
cops after he had a roll of film developed there.  Seems he took a couple
snapshots of his tots in the tub, and the photo tech got all bent out of
shape saying that it was store policy to have arrested anyone who tries to
have them develop "pornographic" pix.  It was one helluva mess--even the
county "Childrens' Services" agency got involved.

One of the muni court judges who does arraignments said it was the silliest
damn thing he'd ever heard and scolded the cops, the pharmacy and Childrens'
Services.  Said that common sense was apparently getting to be a rare
commodity around these parts!

I don't know why I got on that tangent--just reminded me, I guess.

I did write a letter to the Whistler, BC town council.  They told me that
the lake had a "legacy of nudity" stretching back to the '60s and that,
frankly, a dozen naked Europeans spend more money than one disgruntled
American.  In other words, "Mr. Cleveland, go pound sand."  At least they
had the cajones to say the way they felt without a bunch of fake "we're so
sorry for your troubling experience" platitudes they didn't mean.
Refreshing, in a strange way.

We used a couple Nikon Coolpix 885 cameras that Laura's school board bought
for her program.  The superintendent told her to "take them on vacation and
try them out".  I thought that was pretty nice of the guy, but I'm not
overly impressed with the quality of digital photography, yet.  The Nikkor
lens was great, but Nikon glass has always been superb.  Res was 3.2
megapixels.  The camera comes with only one 16mb "starter card", so you
can't get very many complex images on the camera before you have to offload.
Unfortunately, I forgot my laptop and had to start culling after about 20
shots.

Anyone else here use a digital camera?  Is the 885 about the best you can
expect for $500?

-Kyle