C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rayna Lamb <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Sep 2002 22:11:28 +0800
On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 09:34:57AM -0400, Kathy Salkin wrote:
    **blush** I confess I was up for two very silly reasons:

    1) I was watching a DVD I'd gotten in the mail; it was one I'd ordered -
    Blackadder, Season Four - "Blackadder Goes Forth."  It's hilarious
    and I was laughing until my sides hurt. Has anyone else on the
    list seen this show?  It ran on the BBC originally in the 1980s.

Watching Blackadder vids got me through my most severe depression, Kat
- hysterical even after the 10 millionth viewing.  ` -Goes Forth' is
my favourite season - but I love them all.  `Absolutely Fabulous',
``Red Dwarf' (colour on my telly went dicky for a while - so it was
GREEN Dwarf for a time) and of course, Monty Python, all got me
through some really rough times.  Also `The Vicar of Dibley' and
`Birds of a Feather'.  Oh, oh, oh.... and I nearly forgot `Fawlty
Towers', and `The Young Ones' (Ben Elton is GOD!!! - and he's married
to a Perth girl - seriously.)

Basically Brit comedy shows RULE!!!!!!

    All of the episodes take place during WWI and the humour can be macabre at
    times but it's very funny, all the same.  One of my favourites
    lines comes in the very last episode in which the British are told
    to prepare to make the
    final, last push over the top out of the trenches in the war, and
    Blackadder
    tries to get out of it and go home.  Upon receiving stupid advice from his
    mentor his reaction is, "Well the phrase I'd use to describe that
    would rhyme with 'Clucking bell...'" (Just think on it).

A classic line, for sure!  And the very last scene always gets
me... <sniff>

 I need to get a life.  LOL

Naaaaah, Kat, having a life is waaaaaaaaaay overrated!!!!!!

Oh, and did you know, the B/Adder people got together a year or so and
did a one hour special Blackadder `Back and Forth'?  It starts in
present day, and Edmund and Baldrick go back and forth in time in a
time machine, not as funny as the series's (?!), but worth a look.

Rayna