C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Apr 2006 13:07:46 -0600
>becouse that is not what the homosexuals want. you
>know it, i know it, and everyone else knows it.

Ken,

Maybe I'm dense, but would you be so kind as to explain "what the
homosexuals want"?

The gay and lesbian couples I know, including my sister and her partner,
and my best friend from grade school and his partner, want to be able to
own property together and not have to go through probate to maintain
ownership of the property if one of them dies, or to incur additional
legal expenses that others don't have to incur to prevent that.  They
also want to be able to make health care decisions for their life
partner should one of them be involved in an accident, or should they
have a terminal illness.  They want to be able to name their partner as
the beneficiary of their life insurance policy without going through
extraordinary legal measures.

Using phraseology like "what the homosexuals want" sets up another
artificial "us vs. them" dichotomy, much like people in the disability
community have been fighting for years.  I find the similarities between
the disability rights movement and the gay rights movements to be
striking; Mike Jefferies has been talking about the difficulties he has
in conducting a relationship, and many of us said we had experienced
similar difficulties, if not to the same degree.  So if people with
disabilities don't want to be "Those People," why should we make another
group "those people?"

All the gay and lesbian people I know (and for living in Wyoming, I know
a lot) want to be able to do their jobs and to have "quiet enjoyment" of
their lives without undue interference by the government and in some
cases, their families.
Kendall

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950