C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2000 01:00:22 -0400
Hi ya'll,

I personally have a hard time with actually 'meeting' people - online is no
problem, I can type just fine.  In person, I have a few physical problems, that
I imagine are probably very distracting to a "normal" individual.  I sometimes
use a "walker", or a mobilator as I call it, to walk with - but sometimes I go
on my own.  The thing with going on my own, is that I have a VERY limited
ability to "stand up", for more than 30 seconds, without "wobbling" a lot.  I
have NO balance.  So, if you get in a situation without the walker, you then are
standing and wobbling, trying to carry on a conversation.  NOT my favorite thing
to do - the very first thing I do when I walk in a room, is look for a chair,
and plant myself in it!  This tends to look like I am an unfriendly person (to a
'normal' individual) probably........ but, I can't help it.  Sitting down is my
'most comfortable', social position!

As for meeting - I tend to look at it, the same way as I do WORK.  I sometimes
think a 'disabled' person has to work twice as hard, at the very same job that
an 'able-bodied' person has, in order to prove themselves....... at least that
is the way it feels to me.  And, for meeting people, I have to work twice as
hard, to 'get' a relationship.  I'm lucky, that I own my mailing list, and have
met a LOT of people all around the country.  They "know" me - online.  Whether
or not they are 'surprised' at what they get 'in person', I don't know.

See ya
Beth

--
Don't forget to visit http://rvs.netporch.com/ for RVS fan pics, rvsfans