C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Sep 2006 14:31:42 -0600
Anthony,

We have a project called an "Aging and Disabilities Resource Center" that works with our local ILC on what's called "Project Out."  These projects work together to make sure that appropriate supports and services are in place for people with disabilities and elders so that they can successfully move out of nursing homes and live in the community.  In most cases, living in the community with appropriate supports is less expensive than being in a nursing home, and freedom (and self determination) is almost always greater.

It sounds like the person that your ILC worked to "break out" of the home was probably appropriately moved into a community setting and some of the five that wanted to be moved out _might_ not be appropriate for that type of living arrangement.  From what you've said, it doesn't sound as if it was the fault of the ILC that these people who were _possibly_ unable to live in a community setting wanted out; it sounds to me like they talked to the person who was moving out, or heard about it, and thought "If s/he can move out, maybe I can too."  I don't see anything wrong with that, if the person with a disability or elder, and those who would be providing support (including family), realistically look at the situation and make the decision from there.

My grandmother was in a nursing home the last 4 years of her life, after being cared for at home basically around the clock for the 4 years previous to that.  Grandma was happier at home, but her care needs just became too great for in-home care.  Had her safety and health care needs not increased to the point that she basically needed medical care 24/7, she would have stayed in her own home. Her in home care cost around $2500.00/month, and care in the nursing home cost $4500.00/month.  She was 97 1/2 when she went into the home and a month shy of 102 when she passed away.  I don't think quality of life is any less important for elders than it is for people with disabilities, but younger folks, rightly or wrongly, generally have a higher expectation of being active in the community.

Kendall Corbett
Coordinator of Consumer Activities
Wyoming INstitute for Disabilities - WIND
College of Health Sciences
University of Wyoming
1000 E. University Avenue, Dept. 4298
Laramie, WY  82070
(307) 766-2853
www.wind.uwyo.edu

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man.

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950