C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
RIchard Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jul 2002 19:26:10 EDT
In a message dated 7/12/02 4:50:44 AM !!!First Boot!!!, [log in to unmask]
writes:

> like substance abuse, and other addictions to get a free
> >ride on the ADA. Worse yet employers can hire these people instead people
> >with real disabilities and still say that they are being compliant..
>
>     There are many misconceptions about the ADA and this is one of them. The
> ADA states that the person must be FREE of substance abuse in order to be
> covered. Anyone caught misusing alcohol or drugs IS NOT PROTECTED UNDER THE
> ADA.

And if they are REALLY FREE of substance abuse \, they should'nt NEED to be
protected by the ADA.

 You would be quite surprised at the number of people who have

> "legitimate" disabilities who also have substance abuse problems. Spinal cord
> injury and traumatic brain injury, for instance, have incidences of serious
> substance abuse problems 50 to 75%! I am a recovering alcoholic and my
> alcoholism is a more serious potential disability than my cerebral palsy.
>
> Pardon my rant. I got carried away.

Then you and these other people would and should be covered because of your
legitimate disabilites, not because of substance abuse.

Nobody forces people to drink or take drugs, no matter how bad their life is.

Richard Hudson