C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tamar Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 20:37:36 -0800
dear Fran, while it is impossible to know to what degree your baby is going
to be impaired, I strongly urge you to have the goal of independence for
your daughter.  If you let the goal of self determination burn brightly in
front of you, and you believe in it, then there is nothing that isn't
possible.

I am a 48 year old athetoid cp woman, and I was diagnosed at about age one
year,  I was an extremely ill baby, did not respond to sound or light for
the first six months, had trouble feeding, etc, yet I have lived a very
full life, and an independent one at that. Because my doctors and my
parents really wanted me to be independent they pushed me hard. It is not
so important these days to be able to walk, there are great wheelchairs out
there. I currently live by myself with my two cats, and I have about 5
hours of assistance a day.

~Tamar Mag Raine
IM: tamarmag48
Oakland Mayor's Commission on People with disabilities