C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:39:12 +0100
               Sandy Goodwick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think there are a helluva lot of adults out there (including
> me) who went through HELL as a kid because we were 'different'.
> Until the school system really sits up and takes notice and
> changes the way kids and teachers interact with one another,
> this ($3000,000) may be the only thing that's left.  Anyone who
> thinks it's inappropriate never got teased!
>
> FYI, I am an educator (28 years) and have worked with both
> general ed and 'special' ed, currently teaching preschool kids
> w/ severe orthopedic impairments.
>
> A close friend of mine, another person with the same disability
> I have (Moebius syndrome) committed suicide last year.  He was
> the SECOND person with Moebius to commit suicide within a few
> years (and there aren't that many people with Moebius!)
>
> I COMMEND that person for filing the lawsuit!  Heck, it should
> have been a CLASS ACTION ONE!

What I fail to understand is why the School Board was sued, I can
understand her parents suing the boys parents (which was settled
out of court), but why the School? Given that society in general
have decided to dilute teachers ability to instil discipline and
curb aberrant behaviour in pupils, it seems strange that we yell
"foul" when something goes wrong.

Bullying and teasing goes on at all schools, but the powers
teachers have traditionally used to control this behaviour have
now been withdrawn.

I can assure you that I have been teased on too many occasions,
to the point of tears, but I do not blame the Teachers, my anger
was with the perpetrater.

Do you think this Bully (or his parents) have changed their
attitude because his School was sued? He probably thought it was
a hoot!!

Cheers,

--
Deri James