C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 11:43:17 -0500
I have been a member of this list for 6 years now and have gotten advice off an on for my 6 1/2 daughter Lauren. She had the inutero stroke with subsequent mild CP, hypotonia, pervasive developmental disorder, ADHD. She is in regular 1st grade but with special services. My wife and I have really struggle with her behavior all along. The colic, fussiness, night terrors, no napping, limited consoling, irritable, emotional, now teasing sister, oppositional, bad days at school about every other day. We have always felt more was wrong but being the parents we are and the fact that Im a physician assistant, I have carried the burden of care and took all the responsibility for directing her care if we did. My marriage is about to fall apart because my wife is drained and I have put up walls,all in the attempt to manage her from 0-6 years old. It has us stuck in a way of life that we are not happy any more and we cant change it. I have had thoughts that she was bipolar because of how some of these behaviors cycle and we are going to have her evaluated in a few days. But our insurance doesnt pay well and we don't have excess at all to pay. What are my options with mental health care for her. Would she be eligible for medicaid or other forms of assistance. This has been an issue and I dont think we have ever been able to explore this. Any email would be great. Even if someone would be open to talking with me on the phone that would be great. Just email me privately if you can.

Thank you all

Jason K