C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Dec 1999 10:24:24 EST
I don't care for political correctness (PC) either.  I tend to use "PWD" or
"people with disabilities" more often than any other term because I'm afraid
of offending someone else.  Whenever I type "disabled people," there is a
part of me wondering if I am going to offend someone.  I don't want to do
that.

It seems to me that society has learned to talk good game (PC), and more
creative ways to hide the bodies.  Elizabeth Bouvia's request to die is one
case in point.  There is little or no accountability for the abuses that are
inflicted on the disability community.  That's the real reason I don't like
PC.  It doesn't seem to reflect the true thoughts of many nondisabled people
who employ it.  Lip service is not benign.  It serves to perpetuate injustice
by supporting the nondisabled community's desire to pretend injustice doesn't
exist.

The supporting argument for PC -- in connection with the disability community
-- is that a person's disability is not used as the defining hallmark of
their character.  The disabled person is classified as a person…with a
disability.

I would have to say that I don't think about disability all the time, but I
think about society's response to the disability community and disability
rights issues much of the time.

Betty