C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 09:30:54 -0400
From: Elizabeth H. Thiers <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2001 8:36 AM
Subject: Maternal Report of Raising Children with Chronic Illnesses

http://ampe.allenpress.com/ampeonline/?request=get-document&issn=1530-1567&v
> olume=001&issue=02&page=0104
>
> (Be sure to paste the whole URL in to you web browser if you want to
> access the whole article)
> John

Beth, I saw this on another list and had a bad reaction to it. About the
only point I agree to is that gaining knowledge of a chronic disorder makes
you feel more in control and there for less tense but I don't know if I
equate that with happiness. I also have a bone to pick with the disorders
selected and how criteria for meeting the study guidelines was met. CF,
diabetes.,sickle cell are not minor boo-boos by a long shot. The children
however are for the  most part physically independent in mobility and self
care. The mothers therefore get to deal with the attacks only and not
necessarily with everyday self care issues. It's much different to take a
child to ER who can ambulate and speak independently than a child who can't
and you have to deal with taking WC's, walkers etc out of the car along with
the kid. I find it strange that out of close to 600 families targeted only
190 or around 30%  were eligible for the study. And why in the world is
mental retardation a reason for exclusion? A mom can't find happiness with a
MR kid?. It really sounds to me like the researchers had a preconceived
outcome they wanted to prove and then hand selected the participants so that
they obtained the results they wanted. Just for the record I'm just as happy
having Alex who has multiple disabilities as I am with my kids who are Ok.
Again I think the key issue dealing with any chronic condition is knowledge
in how to manage it. That's applies to CP as well as CF etc.
Joanne