C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 2 Oct 2003 18:34:06 -0400
 Mag, taking a page from recent history of the Jewish people, the Holocaust
was murder, right?  The only way that it could have been stopped was by
warring against the nation-state that was murdering the Jews (and other
"undesirables", such as PWD).  If non-lethal means could have been used to
stop the Third Reich, of course that would have been preferable.  Such was
not the case, however.  There are, indeed, "just" wars, but they are few.

As William T. Sherman (certainly a pariah in my own extended Southern
family) said, "War is he", as well it should be.  The United States' policy
of limited war actually is more cruel than all-out war as it prolongs the
conflict and causes the enemy to calculate acceptable losses.  Uncle Ho
understood this in Vietname when he said that a 10 to 1 kill ratio was
acceptable because the war would last longer than the U.S. passion for a
communist-free Southeast Asia.  He was right.  Like morality and ethics, war
should be binary.  It should be brutal and massive.  If we're not prepared
to undertake that kind of conflict, then I'm probably more strident a
pacifist than yourself.

Kyle