C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2002 11:05:22 EST
In a message dated 2/16/2002 10:00:52 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Betty,
>
> That is sick, you are so right.  If I am remembering correctly, I am pretty
> sure those women grew up in my home town of Reading, PA.  They are
> conjoined
> at the head, right?  And one of the women walks while the other sits on a
> cart?  I remember thinking how remarkable they were when I saw them walking
> around at the mall.  What a truly inspiring story they are!
>
> Linda

They are the same gals, Linda.  Once one has heard these women talk about
everything; their lives, aspirations, etc., this incident becomes even more
despicable.  Perhaps that shouldn't be the case.  What happened last night
was despicable regardless of whether these women were known to the public.
We know them though.  We know a lot about them, and we cheer for them.  They
are personal to us.

My (our) reaction was so radically different from this man's, that we would
automatically consider what he did to be unconscionable.

I am sure of something though, because I am sure of it.  If the audience --
in a sober state -- were to see the enlightening programs we saw, and then
made to see footage of their reactions to this comedian's deriding "humor,"
nearly all of them would be ashamed of themselves beyond words.

What passes for adulthood in this world boggles the mind.  I am disgusted.