C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 13:17:04 -0800
Good discussion about drugs and alternative therapies for spasticity.

Here's more of my story. I have been VERY resistant to using drugs to treat my spasticity. I don't like the way they make me feel and the effects they have on my other body systems. I do Feldenkrais and CranioSacral (sp) work, as well as accupuncture and herbs. If I could afford treatment everyday, my spasticity wouldn't be such an issue. I can't.  And our country's health care system, while slowly starting to cover some forms of "alternative" medicine, won't cover what I need to be comfortable. (My spasticity has gotten painful.)

One thing that appeals to me about the pump is that very very little of the baclofen goes systemic - greatly reducing side effects. If it weren't for the surgery this involves and the thought of living with an implant, I think I'd be more excited about the potential for this to help.  Surgery is a big step, so I don't know....

Here's the site run by the company that makes the pump:

http://www.medtronic.com/neuro/itb/

Beth the OT - have you worked with anyone who has the pump? What's your take on it?

Pam

ps  Mag - Yes, it would be fun to meet. Email me privately, and we can arrange something.