C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Meir Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:17:26 -0500
http://www.nationalpost.com/todays-paper/story.html?id=2673050

Friday, March 12, 2010

Baby caught in legal fight dies in arms of parents
Off Life-Support

Canwest News Service

A four-month-old baby at the centre of a legal battle between his parents
and Alberta doctors died in the arms of his mother and father yesterday
after being taken off life support.

The death of Isaiah James May was announced at a news conference in
Edmonton.

Lawyer Rosanna Saccomani spoke for parents Isaac and Rebecka May, who had
initially fought in court to keep their child on life support against
doctors' advice. "It's been very difficult for them, but they are at peace,"
she said.

The Mays also spoke out in a prepared statement yesterday, expressing how
they wanted to be sure they had done everything for their son.

"As all parents, we had looked forward to this moment with great
anticipation and, notwithstanding the events surrounding his birth, we held
out hope there would come a time when we might see his smile or hear his
laugh," they said.

"Over these last four months, we have cherished every moment with our son.
We have marvelled at the perfection of his hands and feet and face, at the
colour of his eyes and the shade of his hair. We have wondered who he most
resembled. All along, it was our hope that his condition would brighten and
improve. It has not."

When Isaiah was born on Oct. 24, his umbilical cord was wrapped around his
neck, choking off oxygen and causing what doctors said was severe,
irreversible brain damage.

Doctors recommended taking the baby off life support on Jan. 20.

The Mays went to court to ask for extra time to get expert opinion from
outside Alberta.

A Victoria neonatologist assessed Isaiah in February and was to offer a
second opinion in the case, along with another American doctor, who helped
explain in detail the brain function and further medical condition of their
son.

The Mays learned Isaiah couldn't live without a breathing machine.

"We very much believe a life is a gift from God and that our son's inherent
value and worth as a human being is not diminished by the number of days
recorded in this world," the parents said through Ms. Saccomani yesterday.

Yesterday afternoon, Alberta Health Services expressed condolences.

"Understandably this is an extremely emotional time and it is important to
be respectful of the May family's need for privacy given the difficult
decision they have made," the statement read.

"All Alberta Health Services' physicians and staff who have been involved in
caring for baby Isaiah were touched by the May family's strength."

C 2010 The National Post Company. All rights reserved. Unauthorized
distribution, transmission or republication strictly prohibited.

database 4938 (20100312) __________

http://www.eset.com