C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Sep 1999 20:37:34 +0100
                Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Greetings All,
>
>         She [Amber] wants me to tell you guys that complained
> about your parents and what they tried to do and did for you -
> You are being stupid people. Then she wanted to know if you
> where smart people or just regular people. That if if your
> regular people you are being ignorant and that not bad it just
> means you don't understand. They where trying to help you and
> you are being stupid, stupid people.

Hi Amber,

You probably haven't seen all the posts on this thread since your
Mum has been signed on to the list from work until very recently,
but if you had then you might modify your opinion that some of
the posters on this list are "stupid, stupid people".

Briefly, a parent of a girl with CP posted to this list
concerning an up-coming orthopaedic procedure. The fact that this
was posted to C-PALSY (rather than CPPARENT - list for parents of
those with CP) meant that the poster was interested in the
opinions of those adults with CP who have undergone childhood
surgeries.

True to the best traditions of this list several people responded
with a different view of the situation. Various themes were
raised which may not be immediately obvious in a parent-centric
view of the situation. Mags eloquently expressed this view of
independence:-

> > our sense of independence isn't tied to how much we can do by
> > ourselves. rather it is in WHO we are and who we are
> > becoming.

and Bobby (in his usual clear-sighted style) posted:-

> > I have to jump in here. Like others on this thead I am very
> > skeptical re: a surgeon guaranteeing 100% results. We who are
> > ambulatory are so insistent that others not be "wheelchair
> > bound". Yes, to be ambulatory is nice, but at what price?
> > Does being in a wheel chair prevent a normal development?
> > What happens in adult hood when these transferred tendons
> > turn arthritic? What about the child's personality?
> >
> > Just some things to ponder.

True, some posts were critical of some of their parents'
decisions, but not without love, or even an understanding as to
why their parents made those decisions. A few parents have posted
thanks for the insight they have gained from this alternative
viewpoint.

One final point. It is a mistake to judge opinions based on a
persons' IQ ("regular" or "smart"), in my experience there is
very little correlation, that way lies elitism.

I hope you will join the list in a few years time, but I somehow
think you'll be too busy having a wonderful life... ;-)

Cheers,

--
Deri James