C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bobby Greer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:54:51 -0500
Kendall,

        I took the survey and it was loooong.

Bobby
----- Original Message -----
From: "Kendall David Corbett" <[log in to unmask]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.c-palsy
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Tuesday, October 11, 2005 2:56 PM
Subject: FW: disability identity survey

This is an interesting survey, especially in light of the recent thread
on special ed and disability perceptions

Kendall

-George Bernard Shaw 1856-1950

Hello. My name is Michelle Nario-Redmond and I am a social psychologist
at Reed College in Portland, OR conducting a survey about
the personal importance and social significance of identifying as a
person who experiences disability.

Specifically, I am interested in how people self-identify and
communicate about their disability experiences, and the benefits
associated with different viewpoints. There has been a lot of research
giving voice to other minority groups about how their identities are
shaped by what's important to them. This study provides a similar
opportunity for people from ALL disability groups to weigh in on how
they are represented and how they want to represent themselves.

The information you provide will help both disabled and nondisabled
individuals better understand what it means to experience disability
and how that experience is informed by community participation, access,
and relationships with others who may or may not be a part of
the disability community. The survey involves a series of questionnaires
and should take 10-20 minutes to complete.

Participation in all parts of the survey is entirely voluntary.
Participants are not asked to give their names, and all responses are
confidential.  In written reports of this research only responses
averaged over groups of people will be reported.  No one from this
mailing list will know whether or not you choose to participate.

Your assistance with this project is greatly appreciated.  For those who
wish to be compensated for their time, you may choose to enter a
lottery to receive a $50.00 Amazon.com gift certificate by providing an
anonymous e-mail address that will be separated from the survey
data.

We're very sorry for the inconvenience if you've received this
invitation more than once. We are trying to get the most
representative sample we can in an online survey, and this unfortunately
means that some people who belong to many different
community groups will receive this request multiple times. We are trying
to include the voices of many different people, and your
participation is extremely appreciated.

If you identify as a person who experiences disability, are at least 18
years of age, and would like to participate, please click this link
to the survey: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=672721246969

Sincerely,
Michelle Nario-Redmond, Ph.D. [log in to unmask]
<http://us.f405.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=michelle.nario-redmond@reed
.edu&YY=50868&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b>
Social Psychologist, Reed College, Portland, OR  97202