C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 23:12:41 -0400
Hi Pam,

I would absolutely not recommend an osteotomy.  It was the worst decision
I've made in my life so far, and I regret it every day.  It was extremely
painful, and I was totally incapacitated for about two months.  I had to
have three followup surgeries to deal with complications.  I was almost
forced to defer college, and was suicidal for a while, as a result of having
to give up everything that made my life enjoyable while I healed.  The pain
that this surgery was supposed to cure still exists.  If anything, it's even
worse, since I now have extremely limited range of motion and cannot have my
leg in certain positions.  I have very limited weight bearing, and when I do
have to put weight on that leg, it's very painful.  This has greatly delayed
the goals for independence that I set for myself.  My case might be an
aberration, but I wouldn't feel right if I didn't warn you.  Good luck!

~Joy~