C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 2 May 2002 13:08:57 -0400
Anthony,

I've had this particular AFO for a couple years.  It's just blow-molded PTFE
plastic, articulated at the ankle and fits inside an athletic-type shoe
(have to use "dress" Reebok types for work--certainly not GQ!).  It had been
many years since I had any sort of bracing (Forrest Gump style), so I knew
not what to expect.

The orthotist made the mold of my calf/ankle/foot without first placing my
limb in the proper position.  So, instead of and AFO that turns the ankle
correctly, it just sort of holds it in place (problem #1).  The "adjustment
screw" to create tension and stretch the achilles is nothing more than $0.10
wood screw drilled into the back of the footbed.  There are also two screws
buried in the plastic with heads clipped off.  Apparently, when they tried
to put them in, it was at a wrong angle.  So. they just took a Dremel tool
and clipped the screwheads off flush with the top of the footbed.  The
remaining screw turns at will.  That is, it did until I adjusted it as best
I could and then put "Loctite" on the threads to hold it in place (problem
#2).  They used carbon steel hardware instead of stainless.  A couple months
of sweat salt rusts the hardware enough to snap under load (problem #3).
Yesterday, I replaced it all with stainless and titanium.

All this for $2K and NO after-sale service.  My insurance company and I were
fleeced.   BTW, this particular AFO has always been junk.  I think I misled
you into thinking that I've had other appliances--this is the first, and
only, since I was a kid.

-Kyle