C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Yvonne Craig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2000 15:15:37 -0500
This is direct from our Information Services department where I work. It is not a hoax or an urban legend. Just wanted to let you know.

Yvonne
*********************************************************************************************************************************
Beware of Telecommunications Scam (809 Area Code)

We have just received this message from Bell Nexxia. Do not dial area code
809.
Be sure to read this message.

You will receive a message on your answering machine or your pager, which
asks you to call a number beginning with area code 809.  The reason you're
asked to call varies it can be to receive information about a family member
who has been ill, to tell you someone has been arrested, died, to let you
know you have won a wonderful prize, etc.

In each case, you are told to call the 809 number right away. Since there
are so many new area codes these days, people unknowingly return these
calls. If you call from the US, you will apparently be charged $2425
per-minute. Or, you'll get a long recorded message.  The point is, they will
try to keep you on the phone as long as possible to increase the charges.
Unfortunately, when you get your phone bill, you'll often be charged more
than $24,100.

This scam has also been identified by the National Fraud Information Center
and is costing victims a lot of money.

WHY IT WORKS:

The 809 area code is located in the British Virgin Islands (the Bahamas) and
can be used as a "pay-per-call" number, similar to 900 numbers in Canada and
the US.

Since 809 is not in the U.S., it is not covered by U.S. regulations of 900
numbers, which require that you be notified and warned of charges and rates
involved when you call a "pay-per-call" number. There is also no
requirement that the company provide a time period during which you may
terminate the call without being charged. Further, whereas many U.S. phones
have 900 number blocking to avoid these kinds of charges, 900 number
blocking will not prevent calls to the 809 area code.

We recommend that no matter how you get the message, if you are asked to
call a number with an 809 area code that you do not recognize, you
investigate further and/or disregard the message.  Be wary of email or calls
asking you to call an 809 area code number.

It is important to prevent becoming a victim of this scam, since trying to
fight the charges afterwards can become a real nightmare. That's because you
did actually make the call.  If you complain, both our local phone company
and your long distance carrier will not want to get involved and will most
likely tell you that they are simply providing the billing for the foreign
company. You will end up dealing with a foreign company that argues they
have done nothing wrong.