C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 13:43:51 EDT
Maybe you can help me with something that's driving me nuts.  Who remembers
the title and author of a sci-fi story about a future society where people
who were considered exceptional in some way were made to be "handicapped" in
the way necessary to cause them to be equal with average folk?  There was an
example of a man who had a higher degree of intelligence, and who was given
an implant (or something) so that at regular intervals he would hear a buzz
in his head.  This way he could not fully concentrate on the "loftier"
thoughts reserved for those of his congenital mental prowess.

I think that many nondisabled people view disability rights legislation as an
effort to cause a similar situation in present-day society.

Betty
Either I'll find a way or I'll stop and ask for directions.

In a message dated 04/04/2001 12:56:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Can we all butt in?  Let's see love for scifi writers Vonda, Anne MacCaffrey
>  (I want a dragon for Christmas), Ursula LeGuin (forgive my spelling today
>  please), Tanith Lee, the classic dudes - Clark, Asimov, Robinson (Green
Mars