C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
lawrence keplinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:26:26 +0000
To Senator Malkuski:

 My name is Dan Keplinger and I have Cerebral Palsey.  First of all I want to
thank you for the support you have given me in the past.  With your help I was
able to receive the service that lets me live independently.  I am currently
26 and live in Towson, I also just started graduated school this past spring
at University of Baltimore for a Master's in Art.

 I am writing to let you know how important the Work Incentive
Improvement Act is to me and to tell you that other bills like this are
needed.  Being a visual artist I'm discoving a way to market myself. I'm not
only a painter, but also skilled on the computer to work as a print media
designer.  These skills will only improve as I proceed through the program at
U.B.  Being able to market myself is letting me  start small, for example
doing flyers and pamphlets for family and friends.  I also recently started
doing paintings for commissions.  The issue with doing these thing is -if I
get paid it is considered as income and will effect my health care benefits
and other services that I receive.  At some point in my life I plan to be self
supporting, but not at this time.

 My goal at this point would saving up for a van. This would let me be more
involved in family activities. I have already talked with my counselor at the
Division of Rehabilitation Services, if I am able to buy a new van they would
make it accessible for me.

  I understand that the Act being discussed this week only deals with health
care issues, but it is a start. I am sure you will do the best to see  the
Work Incentive Improvement Act through.  If there is something more that I can
do, please tell me.

        Sincerely,
        Dan Kelpinger

P.S.
The best way to reach me is by e mail

Bobby Greer wrote:

> Beth asked me to post this to the list.
>
> Bobby
>
> > From: [log in to unmask]
> > To: [log in to unmask]
> > Subject: Work Incentives Stories
> > Date: Thursday, June 24, 1999 5:13 PM
> >
> > In February, I sent out an email soliciting stories about how people
> would
> > benefit from enactment of the Work Incentives Improvement Act.  I
> received
> > a number of stories, and now want to request additional stories.
> >
> > As you all probably know, we have great momentum building behind the
> bill,
> > thanks to your efforts and incredible teamwork.  The bill passed the
> Senate
> > Floor 99-0, and was voted out of the House Commerce Committee
> unanimously.
> > Currently, the bill is under consideration in the House Ways and Means
> > Committee.  The President has said repeatedly, as Labor Secretary Herman
> > and SSA Commissioner Apfel said today as well, that he wants to have the
> > bill passed by Congress in time for a July 26 signing ceremony, on the
> > ninth anniversary of the ADA.
> >
> > If you are interested in finding more information on the bill, try
> visiting
> > the Library of Congress website.  The following address will take you to
> > screen where you can enter a bill number:
> > http://thomas.loc.gov/home/thomas2.html.  Enter S.331 (the Senate bill
> that
> > passed) or H.R. 1180 (the House bill that most closely resembles the
> Senate
> > bill) or H.R. 1091 (a second House Bill that does not include the more
> > comprehensive health care provisions in the bill passed by the Senate and
> > endorsed by the President).
> >
> > As we move forward, it will be important to document stories of
> individuals
> > who would benefit by implementation of this legislation.  Ideally, I'd
> like
> > to have on record at least one real-life example from every state--to
> show
> > that the legislation will benefit individuals with disabilities
> throughout
> > the country.
> >
> > If you or someone you know would benefit from the Work Incentives
> > Improvement Act, please consider sending me a brief paragraph that: 1)
> > summarizes the current personal situation; 2) specifically explains how
> > WIIA would help in obtaining employment.  I will also need a mailing
> > address, phone number, and basic demographic information.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.  You can reply via email (much preferred) or fax me
> > at 202-456-6218.
> >
> > Jonathan Young

To Senator Malkuski:         My name is Dan Keplinger and I have Cerebral Palsey. First of all I want to thank you for the support you have given me in the past. With your help I was able to receive the service that lets me live independently. I am currently 26 and live in Towson, I also just started graduated school this past spring at University of Baltimore for a Master's in Art.         I am writing to let you know how important the Work Incentive Improvement Act is to me and to tell you that other bills like this are needed. Being a visual artist I'm discoving a way to market myself. I'm not only a painter, but also skilled on the computer to work as a print media designer. These skills will only improve as I proceed through the program at U.B. Being able to market myself is letting me start small, for example doing flyers and pamphlets for family and friends. I also recently started doing paintings for commissions. The issue with doing these thing is -if I get paid it is considered as income and will effect my health care benefits and other services that I receive. At some point in my life I plan to be self supporting, but not at this time.         My goal at this point would saving up for a van. This would let me be more involved in family activities. I have already talked with my counselor at the Division of Rehabilitation Services, if I am able to buy a new van they would make it accessible for me.   I understand that the Act being discussed this week only deals with health care issues, but it is a start. I am sure you will do the best to see the Work Incentive Improvement Act through. If there is something more that I can do, please tell me.         Sincerely,         Dan Kelpinger P.S. The best way to reach me is by e mail [log in to unmask]