C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mike Hershenhouse <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:16:31 -0800
Hi, I have a 14yr old son and school staff have been overly cautious when it comes to our son. For example, we wanted him to be able to lift some light weights in gym. They said it wasn't a good idea because he could get hurt. He has an aide and the aide would be there for assistance. I understand that there is a risk, but I also want my son to experience the same things other kids do with a little extra caution. They also said that being close to too many kids at one time is a danger to him because he may get bumped and knocked down. My son loves to be around kids and is not afraid and the kids are careful around him Give kids with cp a chance to be a kid

"Dufour, Deb RQHR (by way of Deri James <[log in to unmask]>)" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:Hi there,
I am an occupational therapist doing an inservice next week for school staff
(teachers and assistants) on working with children with Cerebral Palsy. One
of the discussion points will be myths or misconceptions about children with
Cerebral Palsy. I have heard of a few from co-workers that school staff
have had about children with CP (ie. they can't go outside because the cold
air will make them more 'spastic').

I was wondering if you have ever experienced difficulties with school staff
having misconceptions about your child (ren) with Cerebral Palsy? Could you
share? I would love some more ideas to go with for the inservice, without
having to pull teeth to get them to admit what they believe or think about
the children I work with.

Thanks for any and all information shared!
DEb
Debra Dufour
Occupational Therapist
WRC - Children's Program